Jayne was born in Mendota, Illinois. She studied Commercial and Graphic Arts at Southern Illinois University and Los Angeles Trade Technical College. While in Los Angeles, Jayne worked at an advertising agency as a Media Coordinator and Graphic Designer.
Back in the Midwest, Jayne worked in both administrative and management positions at publishing houses before joining IBM in Connecticut and Raleigh, NC working in both administrative and graphics design fields.
In 2000, Jayne went back to her first love, oil and acrylic painting. While pursuing here reconnection with her art, she worked part time for a graphics / website design firm while volunteering for several arts groups. During the last few years, Jayne has added workshop instructor, mural painting, and web/brochure design to her many duties.
In 2010, Jayne packed up her stuff and moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota to start a new life.
My subjects are largely representational (with leanings towards impressionism) based on observations of my surroundings, in landscapes, florals, and human studies. I paint in saturated color with heavy emphasis on light, color, and shadows. My camera and I are on the constant prowl for early morning or late afternoon shadows. The lush florals I create in both still lifes and landscapes come from my own gardens and those who live around me. Living in the Midwest gives me plenty of subjects, from rural to city scenes. The quest to understand the nuances of nature inspires me to keep searching and growing in this craft. Painting quickly has been a trademark of mine and using other mediums has broadened my horizons. My vision will continue to change as my life and the lives around me change.
- 02/2012: Second Place in Winter Art Show in Spearfish, SD
- 03/11/08: 2008 Illinois Alliance for Art Education Artist of the Year (press release)
- 01/20/08: First place award, "Rock River Sunset," River Reflections Show at The Next Picture Show
- 09/20/07: Third place award, "Apple Orchard on Brinton,” Farms & Barns 2 Show at The Next Picture Show
- 08/20/07: Best of Show, "From Above: Pears", SHE show (women’s exhibition) at The Next Picture Show
- 11/20/06: Third place award for "Twilight Dining" oil at The Next Picture Show gallery’s "Particular places" exhibition
- 07/20/06: Painting image selected to be featured in national art newsletter
- 04/20/07: Accepted into Unforgettable Arts Show Alzheimers Benefit
- 04/20/06: Accepted into Unforgettable Arts Show Alzheimers Benefit
- 04/20/05: Accepted into Unforgettable Arts Show for Alzheimers Benefit
- 05/2004: Accepted into Emerging Artists of Rockford Show (by Rockford Art Museum)
Phidian Art Show, Dixon, Illinois
- 4/2007: Best of Show, "Venetian Shadows"
- 4/2006: Best of Show, "Saturday Night Rush"4/2005: Connie Rich Memorial Award, "Serenity Border"
- 4/2004: Harold Cook Memorial Award for Best Floral
- 4/2002: Haymarket Guild of Artists Honorable Mention
- 4/2001: Phidian Purchase Award winner and Connie Rich Memorial Award
Grand Detour Fine Arts Festival, Grand Detour, Illinois
- 9/2007: Best Oil (overall work)
- 9/2006: Best of Show (overall work)
- 9/2005: Best Oil (overall work)
- 9/2004: Best Oil (overall work)
- 9/2003: Charles Kested Award of Excellence
- 9/2002: Best Oil (overall work)
- Current: Gallery artist at The Matthews Opera House & Arts Center, Spearfish, SD
- 01/15: Winter Art Show at The Matthews Opera House & Arts Center, Spearfish, SD
- 02/12: Winter Art Show at The Matthews Opera House & Arts Center, Speafish, SD
- 02/11: Winter Art Show at The Matthews Opera House & Arts Center, Speafish, SD
- 2006-2007: Conover Square (The Loft), Oregon, IL
- 2004-2005: The Artful Home, Rockford, IL
- 10/2012: Created design for large mural-divided into 42 separate canvases for "Go Fish" fundraiser for The Matthews Opera House & Arts Center
- 08/2012: Worked with preschoolers at First Step Daycare of Deadwood. Instructed kids with painting "happy trees" to be used in fundraiser
- 10/2007: Worked with Reagan Middle School students (6 classes a day for 3 days) as Guest Artist. Art teacher received grant to accomplish this project. Students created fruit/vegetable still life painting to be displayed at a local art gallery.
- 7-8/2007: Collaborative Mural with Lee County Juvenile Probation Office. With Debbie and Arin Thompson, we instructed 5 juveniles in the creation of a “Magical Trees” mural to go on the waiting room wall for the juvenile probation office in Dixon, Illinois (8’ x 20’). Created a blog documenting the process, themuralproject.wordpress.com
- 8/2007: Instructor for Children’s Art Camp, "6x6x6" at The Next Picture Show gallery in Dixon, IL
- 2/2007: Worked with Reagan Middle School students to create "Happy Houses & Dogs" at KSB Hospital in Dixon (2 floors of a stairwell)
- 9/2006: Worked with Reagan Middle School students (6 classes a day for 3 days) as Guest Artist. Art teacher received grant to accomplish this project. Students created rural landscape painting to be displayed at a local art gallery.
- 7/2006: Instructor for Children’s Art Camp, "6x6x6" at The Next Picture Show gallery in Dixon, IL
- 4/2006: Created a mural for child advocacy group "Shining Star" children’s room in Lee County Court House in Dixon, IL
- 1/2006: Worked with Reagan Middle School students to create "A Crowd of Cats" at KSB Hospital in Dixon (2 floors of a stairwell)
- 9/2005: Worked with Reagan Middle School students (6 classes a day for 3 days) as Guest Artist. Art teacher received grant to accomplish this project. Students created still life painting to be displayed at a local art gallery.4/2005: Conducted hands-on painting demo to 14 fourth graders of Mary Morgan Elementary of Byron, IL
- 4/2005: Conducted workshop for the NCIC Fine Arts Festival at Rock Falls High School in Rock Falls, IL
- 1/2005: Worked with Reagan Middle School students to create a mural at KSB Hospital in Dixon
- 12/04: Volunteered with another artist to help middle school Students create stained glass projects (2 days)
- 9/2004: Demonstrated still life painting in tempera to several art classes at Reagan Middle School, Dixon.
- 3/2004: Demonstrated Oil Painting techniques to 5th/6th grades touring Next Picture Show Gallery in Dixon
- Haymarket Guild of Artists, Executive Board member 1994-2006 (group disbanded)
- The Next Picture Show Fine Arts Center, committee member, website manager, create all postcards, promotional materials, 2004-2008
- Phidian Art Club, Member 1996-2010, Exec. Board 2003
- Grand Detour Arts Festival, Exec. Board 2001-2010
- Blackhawk Visitors’ & Convention Bureau, Board of Directors 1993- 2009